16 hour Outdoor First Aid
Our two day ITC Outdoor First Aid course is suitable both for instructors needing to validate national governing body outdoor qualifications as well as outdoor enthusiasts seeking training so they are better prepared if the worst happens. It involves 16 hours of tuition and includes an element of assessment. The aim of the course is to enable students to recognise when someone has a medical emergency and to give them the skills to give immediate appropriate assistance at first aid level.
Our trainers seek to keep medical jargon and terminology to a minimum, concentrating on what you do in different situations rather than what you know. To this end students learn a set of general principles which they can adapt to different situations. The process of progressive skill development will be based on situation assessment and casualty examinations. The course is of a very practical nature and will involve ‘treating’ other course members and acting as a casualty.
Tor Lea Training only use trainers who have extensive experience in wilderness settings and most are mountaineering instructors employed full time in the outdoor industry for these courses. We feel this is essential for Outdoor First Aid courses focussed on remote locations and improvised casualty care scenarios
Topics covered will include:
- Guidance on current best practice and legislation
- Assessments of situations and casualty
- Airway, breathing and circulation assessments, including emergency resuscitation
- Safe airway position
- Dealing with choking
- Treatment of severe bleeding and shock
- Major injuries, including chest and head injuries
- Treatment of fractures
- Environmental injuries such as hypothermia and hyperthermia
- Life threatening conditions such as heart attack, asthma, diabetes, burns, anaphylactic shock and stroke
- Injury management in an outdoor situation
- Incident management scenarios
On successful completion candidates will be awarded an ITC Outdoor First Aid certificate which is valid for 3 years and requires no interim revalidation. A comprehensive outdoor first aid manual for all participants is included in the course fee.
- 2 day Outdoor First Aid
Times 9.00am-6.00pm each day In order to receive the certificate candidates must attend the whole course so please...